Our Access Statement is an attempt to provide a clear and
honest picture of our holiday accommodation The Square, so that
potential guests can assess for themselves whether it would be a
suitable and happy choice for their own particular needs.
Our self-catering house, is a very attractive 18th
century stone property arranged over 3 floors. It is listed,
within a conservation area and in a beautiful area of the Peak
District, in the village of Parwich, popular particularly with
walkers. We are some seven miles from the nearest town of
Delightful as it is, there is no denying it is unsuitable for
anyone with mobility problems or very poor vision, or anyone
totally dependent on public transport. When you have read the
statement below, please do not hesitate to ring us up to discuss
any queries you might have.
It is thought that the house may have been originally owned by
weavers, who would have worked on the light-filled top floor and
because of its age and purpose the stairs are steep, of uneven
gradient and rather narrow. We have therefore always acknowledged,
albeit with regret, our limited appeal and/or suitability for a
proportion of the population
The Square is not suitable for:
- Any adult unable to cope confidently and
safely with stairs and external steps.
The Square has 3 bedrooms, two with king size beds and one with
a single bed, all are upstairs:
- The bathroom is upstairs, on the first
- There is no downstairs lavatory.
All necessary information about the house is here on the web site,
including our policies.
Bookings / enquiries can be made via:
Our remote rural situation
- It is possible, but only with considerable
effort, to cope without a car.
- There is a very limited daily bus service,
mainly into Ashbourne. The bus stop in the village is 150 metres
from the house.
- The nearest mainline train stations are
Derby or Chesterfield, both approximately 20 miles away.
- The nearest taxi service, Ashbourne Taxis
(tel: +44(0)1335 345 198) is in Ashbourne, 7 miles away.
- We can supply a list of those shops and
supermarkets locally who will deliver for your arrival.
- Fresh milk can be delivered every other day
by the Gibson family (+44 (0)1335 310 250).
- The village pub/shop (+44 (0)1335 390 212)
is approximately 250m away.
Arrival & Car Parking Facilities
- There is a parking space outside the
house, on the road.
- There is a garage opposite in School Lane
that belongs to the property and guests are welcome to use it,
for storage of bikes/walking gear, and to park outside.
- Entrance through the front door to the
ground floor of the house is via a step.
- There are small steps to negotiate, each
approximately 4 centimetres high, through the front gate.
The Ground Floor
- The Lounge is accessed via a porch from the
front door, with one step up and also from the kitchen/dining
room, via one step down.
- There are double oak doors between the porch
and the lounge
The Dining kitchen
- There is direct access from the external
- There is a door into the Lounge and onto the
staircase to the first floor.
- The cooker is a Rayburn (which also powers the
heating and hot water). It can remain hot and warm throughout the
- There is a range of floor level and overhead
- There is a standard size front loading washing
machine in the kitchen.
Please note that access upstairs would be difficult for anyone
with mobility difficulties. It would also be difficult for anyone
with very limited vision.
- Stairs: 2 flights, both carpeted narrow tread
stairs, with a handrail and a turn at the bottom of each flight.
- Doors at the bottom of the stairs
- Super King and King size beds provided in the
two main bedrooms and a standard single in the third.
- All rooms have down & feather pillows and
- Mattress protector and pillow protectors are
- Sheets, duvet covers and pillow cases are
- A small TV with remote control and a DVD
player is provided in the games room on the top floor.
- There are fitted wardrobes and storage provided in all 3 bedrooms.
Bathroom and WC
This is on the first floor and has a standard bath and a power
shower over the bath and a standard WC.
One handrail is provided above the bath.
- The house has a Smoke Alarms fitted on each
floor and carbon monoxide monitors in the lounge and kitchen
- Furniture is moveable, with the exception of
built in cupboards/wardrobes, and where applicable complies with
fire safety regulations.
- Free Sat TV provided, with remote control
(also available are DVD, stereo with CD, radio and tape)
- Wifi is provided throughout the house.
Floorings throughout the house are carpet with the exception of
the kitchen and porch which have quarry tiles and the lounge which
has polished oak boards. There are a number of rugs.
There are window curtains in every room except the kitchen &
bathroom which have roller blinds, and the top floor games room.
Grounds and Gardens
- Immediately outside the house is a small
stone paved courtyard area, with potted plants.
- There is a small table and two folding
wooden chairs and a stone bench
- There is a separate sitting out area, with a
large wooden table and 2 benches, in the garden which is
situated immediately across the road.
- Access to the garden is via a narrow flight
of stone steps.
- The garden is secluded with a yew hedge as
the boundary from the side road. It contains lawns and
herbaceous filled flower borders and a quantity of fruit
- Under no circumstances should anyone attempt
to stand on the garage roof which is accessible in the garden.
- There is a working beehive on the garage
roof and no-one should get in front of it or interfere with it
in any way.
- There is patchy mobile phone reception in
the house, but a signal can often be obtained on the top floor,
however a landline is provided for guests' use.
- Please let us know if you are unlikely to
hear the fire alarm
- The house is no smoking.
- Pets and service dogs are welcome by prior